When I work continuously on large projects, I find myself longing for small, quick ones. That’s when I also indulge in bulky yarns and large needles.
This year, I worked on several ones, three of which are two cowls and one hat.
Using just one skein of super bulky yarn and a pair of 20mm needles, I worked on a simple cowl. It’s main goal was to exercise the horizontal Herringbone stitch. I wanted to try this particular stitch for a long time, but it constantly remained in the to-do list. Given the fact that I don’t own any circular needles above 10mm, I had to knit the cowl flat instead of in the round. I hoped that I would be able to create an almost invisible join in the seam. Given the nature of the stitch, that was not easy to achieve, and I am not sure if it’s possible at all. Maybe if the edges are knitted in stockinette or garter stitch instead of a simple selvedge stitch?
The other cowl I worked on, was a piece that was inspired by Amirisu’s Little Hobbit Cowl, which I had spotted as soon as it was released, in 2015. This is pattern that is available only as a kit, in Japan. So as I was unable to purchase it, I took inspiration from it and created my own version. Using a squeechy soft skein Filati Tre Sfere Lana Bio Ecologica I had in my stash, I created a similar shape, but with various modifications. I added Japanese short rows at the lower back and worked the triangle edge as a combination of stockinette and garter stitch, instead of plain garter stitch. The last mod was due to my fear of running out of yarn; since I had purchased it some time ago, I didn’t know if I would be able to find a second one again. The other modification was the addition of a pair of mushrooms instead of pom-poms. Pom poms get easily destroyed, that’s why I opted for a pair of whimsy crochet add-ons. The idea came from this super awesome project. The mushrooms were made after the Toadstools & Mushrooms pattern and using several fingering weight leftovers. I am very pleased with how it turned out and I was thoroughly impressed with the yarn. It is soft, with nice colors and great elasticity. I would definitely use it in a large size garment.
The third project took much longer time to complete as it does not make use of bulky yarn. I had some random grey yarn in my stash (for which I only know the yarn company, the label did not provide more info), and with which I wanted to create a man’s hat. I searched Ravelry for ideas until I stumbled upon the 1898 Hat by Kristine Byrnes. It is a very practical and clever design; I enjoyed making it. Especially since it deviates from the traditional style of making hats and uses two directions of knitting. I recommend it for anyone that would like to try a new technique, also one that produces a warm, and very practical result. In the pictures, the hat may seem small, but it actually covers properly all the areas it should cover.
This concludes my project updates for today. Got plenty to work on and write about. See you around! 🙂